How-To Thursday: How to Organize Your Time

Do you ever feel like there’s not enough time in the day to get everything done?

Do you struggle to organize your time?

Do you have trouble knowing where to start with time organization?

Then read below and check out this How-To Guide on How To Organize Your Time.

When I was a pre-teen, I had the nasty habit of being late to everything and forgetting things. As I got older, I learned strategies that have helped me to better manage my time. This guide will be a breakdown of what has worked for me and how you may benefit from it, too.



Grab a Planner or Calendar

Since elementary school, I have always had a planner or “agenda book.” My high school didn’t require students to have them, but offered ones at school store. I used it to keep track assignments and tests. When I moved up to college, I used it for the same purpose. I used it know when tests were coming up, what days my professors cancelled class, and when I had to go out to my practice teaching schools.

I’m a Teacher so a planner is like my right hand man. However, the teacher side is only one reason for using a planner or calendar.

I use
  • A teacher plan book
  • My phone calendar
  • Magnetic whiteboard with cork board 
My phone calendar is good for setting reminders to myself for everything. The big magnetic whiteboard calendar I keep in the kitchen is great for me and my husband to share information. I write due dates for bills, upcoming appointments, and school holidays. My husband shares his work schedule and sets the cleaning schedule.


Use Lists

Are you one of those people who goes to the store and spends all your time trying to remember that one item you forgot on the list in your head? And later find out it was three things you forgot? I used to be that person. I would sometimes write a list down, but then forget it or misplace it.

One day, I stopped and thought to myself, “Oh, come on! There has to be an app for this.”

And of course there was.

There’s a large variety of list apps designed for every different need from to do tasks, grocery list, and more.

An app I’ve enjoyed using is titled Listonic.

Using the app, I can set a specific title for my list. I can add everything I need right in through the app. Then when I'm shopping, I can click off each item as I throw it in the cart.

Handy, right?

Set Timers

Setting timers or alarms for yourself is essential. I use them all day long for lunch breaks, when to leave for an appointment, and even just to get up and stretch my legs. I'm a big fan of visual timers where I can see how much time I have left.

Set Priorities

Plan tasks based on their priority level.

Got a test this week? Dedicate time throughout the week to studying.

Need to clean up around the home or pack? Do a little bit each day or break it up by room.

Moving out by the end of next month? Make a list of steps you need to do such as paying bills, packing boxes, researching moving companies, or when to ask for time off from work.

Don’t forget about You Time, too.

Make time for yourself to do something for you. You have to find your balance between work and play. Try a new craft, see a show, take a nap, do something that makes you happy. Some of what I do in my free time is pictured below.





Comments