Scrapbook Saturday

Since high school, one of my favorite hobbies has been scrapbooking. It started when I ran for and was elected Historian for my school's Key Club. I went on to become Historian for my high school's National Honor Society and my college's Kappa Delta Pi.

I am currently working on a scrapbooking project for a club that is celebrating 50 years this May. So I am getting in a lot of practice.


A Game Plan

The best way to start scrapbooking is with a game plan. Either have the pictures picked out or a theme. From there, you can start planning the layout. Now I have taken inspiration from different areas for layouts. I've used

  • Scrapbooking Magazines: there used to be a few popular magazines back in the early 2000's that you could see pages made by Scrapbookers and they had tear out pages of a variety of layout ideas
  • Pinterest: layout ideas all over the place and example pages too
  • Microsoft PowerPoint: digital layout makes it easy to make quick and easy visual for scrapbook planning


Color and Topic Theming

One of the coolest thing to help put your pages together is using colors and specific topic theming to help your layout. Take the above picture as an example.

I used the orange and blue for the Florida Gators and I used football themed stickers. Then I got the brilliant idea to cut up a football themed scrapbook page and put as the background with the orange paper. I decided to display the photos differently by using the old polaroid picture look.

It was a fun page for me to put together for my first Gator football game with my then boyfriend.


Comic Strip Inspiration

If you have a series of photos, it can be easy to put into a comic strip. For this Halloween event at the local zoo, I took a series of photos with my brother and mom near an inflatable. It came out funny because the series of photos ended up with the inflatable moving and Mom jumping back. 

I made the comic strip using Microsoft PowerPoint by inserting a long rectangle and the inserting three smaller photos in the rectangle. I pulled out different speech bubbles from the shapes and added some simple text. Naturally, I had to include a comic strip title and a By Katie.


Real Life Experience as a Page

This page I had a ton of fun with! I chose a light gray page for the top of a desk. Then I came up with my own agenda/planner look piece for the center and a name tag for the top. The pencil was easy to put together with different cardstock and scrapbook paper. See those eraser shavings? Those are actual eraser shavings! I used a pencil to get them and then glued them on.

Comments