Life of an Itinerant Teacher

 What is an Itinerant Teacher?

I have been doing this job for close to 10 years and that question is probably the most common question I get. Over time, it gets old, but I have designed my default answer.

As an Itinerant Teacher, I travel to schools where I am assigned to deaf and hard of hearing students. I usually have a caseload of 15 and more students, ranging in levels of hearing loss and grade level. I work with them on their goals, self-advocacy, and support them in the classroom.

No, I am not a tutor or mentor.

No, I am not a “therapist.”

No, I am not a teacher’s assistant.

Yes, I am a Teacher, but I will say YES if you ask if I’m a student. Just like still showing ID when I need to be carded. 😄

I see students weekly or monthly. Everyone’s hearing loss is different and they all use different devices or none. Very few of my students use American Sign Language (ASL), but I do know it. Most of my kids are in “regular” classrooms while a few are in an all Exceptional Student Education (ESE) students classroom.  

My Bachelor’s degree and certification is in Hearing Impaired K-12 and Elementary Education K-6 with endorsements in Reading and English Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL). Like most teachers, I completed four years of college and two internships.

I have worked with students who, along with hearing loss, have

  • speech or language difficulties
  • cognitive disabilities
  • specific learning disabilities
  • autism spectrum disorders
  • vision difficulties
As rewarding as the job can be, there are advantages and disadvantages to the career.

Advantages include:
I create my own schedule (with few limitations/restrictions)

I’m not in one place for long (usually)

I don’t have to submit grades (woohoo!)

My focus is on goals and not standards

I am not micromanaged

I decide when my days start and end (as long as I work the required weekly hours)

I don’t have to worry about a Substitute Teacher for days I’m out

Gas reimbursement or paid for mileage

Students can become more comfortable in being more honest with you than their Classroom Teachers

You meet and work with a variety of people


Disadvantages include:
Gas (it can kill the tank like no tomorrow)

Traffic…need I say more? 🚦

Space can be limited in a school for you to work with your student (especially around testing time)

Districts usually restrict what times of the day you can pull students from class (and of course students in schools A, B, & C all have that same time available to be seen)

Meetings can and will be scheduled during your school week with little to no input from you on availability 

You may be required to be the Case Manager for students who have your program as their primary exceptionality/disability

Students who give little gifts for holidays to their teachers and their school-based support (Speech Language Pathologist, Occupational Therapist, etc.) may leave you out, despite you seeing them 2-3 times a week

You won’t get along with all the teachers you meet. Sadly, I have encountered a few teachers in charter and public schools that have made me feel put down or disrespected. Nowadays, I don’t take it personal.



This January marked 10 years I have been a Teacher for Deaf and Hard of Hearing students. The journey has been long and bumpy, but overall great experience. The students have given me wonderful memories, some more precious than others. For that, I count my blessings every day to have been a part of their lives.

Comments